As Coco and Pia will show you in this Video, making these cookies and eating these cookies are equal parts fun!
These are our newest favorite cookies as they are extra chewy and delicious and I totally owe the genius of them to Pia. She took my original chocolate chip cookie recipe from Pure Delicious and started tampering with it to see what happened when she started swapping some ingredients. And then I realized how good her version was and decided that they would be even better chewy! So we messed around a little bit more and wound up with a chewy and crispy, super chocolaty cookie that is SOOOOOO good!
It has become a staple for us in school lunches (I keep them in the freezer and just pack a frozen cookie in the lunch which thaws by lunch time!) and I even made batches of these topped with sprinkles for Pia’s school and family birthday parties and they have been VERY popular. These should definitely be your next “must-make” item or a great way to ease into Gluten free-vegan baking!Heather Christo Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Serves: 20 Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- ½ cup of soy free vegan butter at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sunbutter (or almond or cashew butter)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2¼ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (I use Bobs Red Mill all-purpose baking flour)
- ½ teaspoon xanthum gum
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chunks
- extra kosher or sea salt for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare two sheet pan with silpats or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the chia seeds and hot water, stir together and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer combine the vegan butter sun-butter, vanilla and brown and white sugar until well combined. Add the chia seeds and mix in. In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and then add them to the bowl and mix well until you have a sticky dough. Add the coconut milk and mix well.
- On low speed mix in the chocolate chunks and chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookies by the rounded spoonful onto the prepared sheet pans (they will spread, so leave them room!) Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with salt.
- Bake the cookies 12-14 minutes until golden around the edges. Pull the cookies out and let them cool for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack with a spatula.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the freezer.