SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Months have passed since Hurricane Maria ravaged the island of Puerto Rico, and thousands are still without basic necessities. Some Springfield area residents put their Sunday to good use, raising money for these victims.
“Somos una voz,” or “we are one voice.” This idea brought out more than 70 participants to Forest Park Sunday morning for a 5K race.
Among participants in this race were some of the smallest members of the Springfield community.
Isabelle Rivera of Springfield told 22News, “I have family down there right now. They got hit bad and they really need help, so I just wanted to run this and help Puerto Rico.”
Those living on the island without running water or electricity aren’t sure when they’ll have access to these necessities, which is why Lorena Recca organized this event.
She told 22News, “It’s an awesome feeling to do something for yourself, while actually helping a cause, and the fact that we had so many organizations join us. It was just a good coming together of everything.”
Springfield State Representative Carlos Gonzalez told 22News that the smallest communities can have the biggest impact. He said, “We have folks that are in need, so it’s a great opportunity for us to show our efforts here in western Massachusetts and Springfield to support those victims from Puerto Rico.”
All participants raised a minimum of $100 and proceeds will go to Puerto Rico’s disaster relief account set up through Freedom Credit Union.
WWLP.com > Share this:
- >Click to email (Opens in new window)
- >Click to print (Opens in new window)
- >Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- >Click to send this to your Kindle device (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)