I happened to have a lot of asparagus beans (also known as Chinese long beans, or yard long beans, or Asian long bean) available, due to the fact that I grew them in my garden this summer.
Neither the foliage nor the seed of this Asian pole bean plant resembles green beans, although its uses are similar to the green bean.Their sweet and mild flavor resembles a mixture of asparagus, mushrooms, and beans, or beans and black-eyed peas. Asparagus bean can grow to nearly a yard long, though it will be tastier at half that length.
- contain large quantities of soluble and insoluble fibers.
- are one of the finest sources of folates.
- contain a good amount of vitamin-C.
- are an excellent source of vitamin-A.
- are low in calories, about 45 calories per cup
- are a good source of potassium.
- provide average amounts of minerals such as iron, copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium.
You may use your choice of green bean or other vegetable. Make this dish your own.