Shrimp Chaufa at Seviche, A Latin Restaurant in Louisville, KY. Nov. 1, 2017(Photo: Frankie Steele/Special to CJ)Buy PhotoCONNECT>TWEET>LINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
Shrimp Chaufa (Peruvian Shrimp Fried Rice)
- 1 pound 16/20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 ounces chopped garlic
- 4 ounces chopped ginger
- 2 ounces sesame oil
- 2 ounces aji rocoto or sambal chile
- 2 ounces canola or peanut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 1 cup fresh peas (cooked)
- 2 ounces toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 to 4 cups cooked rice
- ¼ cup sliced green onion for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
Rub shrimp with garlic, ginger, sesame oil and chile. Let marinate for two hours. In a hot skillet or wok, add canola oil to medium heat. Cook shrimp for three minutes. Add eggs and cook for one minute. Add all the liquid from the marinade and the remaining ingredients except the green onion and cilantro. Cook another two minutes.
Add hot rice. Mix together.
Plate the mixture, adding three to five shrimp per person. Top with green onion and cilantro.