I spotted an interesting photo of pot pies made by a friend of mine on Facebook and well, I couldn't resist making some myself. So I hunted for an easy pot pie recipe on some of my favourite international websites but most involved readymade ingredients which are not easily available in India. So I decided to concoct my own pot pies from the ingredients I had at home sans any recipe. What turned out was mouth-wateringly delicious (if I may say so myself ;)) quiches (not pot pies :P). Here is the recipe.
2 large potatoes
2 to 3 small handfuls peas
1 packet mushrooms
5 cloves garlic
2 chicken breasts
grated cheese (optional)
soup packet (cream of mushroom/ cream of chicken/ asparagus)
Italian seasoning, chilli powder, pepper powder, lime juice
300 gms flour
120 gms butter
salt to taste
1) Dice the potatoes and carrot into small cubes. Boil and keep aside.
2) Dice the mushrooms into slightly larger cubes. Cut the garlic fine and sautee in one teaspoon of butter. Add the mushrooms to the garlic and sautee with a little Italian seasoning.
3) Cut the chicken into long strips and marinate in a teaspoon of chilli powder, a teaspoon of lime and half to one teaspoon pepper. Then cook it in a pan without oil. Cut into small cubes.
4) Now prepare about 1/3 to 1/2 packet of a soup of your choice. Boil it down till slightly thick. If the soup is still too thin, add a tablespoon of flour to five tablespoons of milk, stir and pour the mixture into the soup. Cook on slow flame. Your soup is sure to thicken.
5) Mix the veggies, mushrooms and chicken together. Pour in the soup till mixture is gooey.
1) Take refrigerated butter and cut into squares. Knead it into the flour till crumbly and fine.
2) Add in cold water slowly and knead till it forms a nice firm dough.
3) Roll out the dough and use a round container to cut out circles that can be used to form the shells inside small/ big tart cups.
4) Grease the tart cups. Place the cirles of dough in them and prick the dough inside the cups to prevent bubbling.
1) Bake the empty quiche shells at 250 deg c for 5 to 7 minutes or till golden brown.
2) Remove from oven and fill with quiche filling.
3) Add a topping of grated cheese (see pic 2) or simply create a trellis with the leftover dough.
4) Then bake just the top for another 5 to 7 minutes or till golden brown at 250 deg c.
5) Serve warm.